Sunday, October 10, 2010

Um...This is harder than I thought!

Why I thought training for a marathon would be easier than training for a triathlon is beyond me.  I am starting to rethink my plan, or at least my schedule.  In retrospect, jumping past the Novice and Intermediate training plans may not have been the best idea. 

Both the Novice II and Intermediate I programs would have had me run a total of 36 miles this week.  In the Intermediate II, I am running 43 miles this week.  I guess that 7 miles really makes a difference in an untrained body.  I didn't get to run my mid-week 9 or 4 miler due to hip issues.  I did run 19 yesterday and felt OK, but today was supposed to be 9 at pace (9:15) and I just couldn't do it.  I managed about a 10:00-10:30 pace for about 6 miles, but then had to call it quits due to a new pain, this time on the outside arch of my foot.  It got so bad that I decided to walk the last 3 miles rather than risk an injury.

Now for my altered schedule...

a. I am going to follow Hal's advice and do my pace runs on Saturday and my long runs on Sunday.  I reversed them initially because I wanted to get my long run out of the way and feel like I could relax a bit for the rest of the weekend and still do a pretty good pace run Sunday.  That actually worked out until this weekend; week 10.  After a 19 miler, I realize I just don't have the body to get out the next day and do a good pace run.

b.  I AM going to make myself crosstrain Monday (swim) and Thursday (bike) and do two days of light weights and core.  The reason my hips are having issues is because the rest of my body is weak, so they are working overtime.  I need to strengthen all of my muscles if I am going to make it through in one piece.

c.  Stretching!!  I have not been stretching at all and that is not good.  I know I will not be able to make it to Yoga with this schedule, but I can at least stretch at home each day.  I've added some good stretching and weight training sites here, so I intend to use them!

d. New running shoes.  It is time.  I've had these since April and trained and raced for 4 triathlons and 1/2 way through this marathon program.  I am headed to Fleet Feet today and am so excited.

So that's it.  If I stick to this, hopefully that will help.  If not, I may need to drop down to one of the lower training programs.  We'll see. I do know that I am learning a lot and with each marathon I do, my body will be in better condition. I really want to just enjoy this journey and keep in mind how awesome it is that I am even doing this in the first place. :)

1 comment:

  1. i agree, i think you will get much better results by doing your harder run 1st and then using your easy sunday run as recovery- you can always throw in a couple of miles at the middle or end of sunday's to hit marathon pace.

    ReplyDelete