Monday, January 17, 2011

Half-Ironman Bound

Ok, I have basked in the glory of finishing a marathon long enough.  For the few weeks after the race, I took it a bit easy and just had fun.  I made sure to keep active, running a little, swimming a little, and taking some new classes at the gym.  It really felt great to change things up and not just run every day. 

Also, we announced to everyone that Rick got a new job and we will be moving to Jacksonville Florida.  It has been a whirlwind of activity with selling our house, researching Jacksonville, and finding the perfect spot for us to live and go to school.  Fortunately, it all came together and I think we have a great deal accomplished.  Our house is sold, we found our perfect place to live, a great school, and Rick is down there now beginning his job.  The kids and I will just have to get an apartment and finish out the year.  Unfortunately, with 2 teenagers who are very involved in activities and not driving yet, I am going to be very busy.  I was so upset that it meant my plans for the half-iron would have to be postponed for a year.  But...I am determined to do it. I may have to do some late night or early morning workouts, but that's ok...I can do it!

My first week of training officially started last week, but it was kind of a bust.  I got sick in the middle of the week and missed 2 whole days.  Also, I hurt my foot as I am transitioning into 5-finger shoes for running.  I haven't been able to run since last Tuesday.  I am going to give it more time to rest until I don't feel the pain anymore.  I figure that this is the best time to rest and let it heal before I get into the real important training.  These first few weeks are just for building my base fitness.  And since I spent so much time running as I trained for the marathon, I can handle some time off.  Fortunately, I can now devote the bulk of my training to swimming and biking, which I need more of right now anyway.  I think I might even take one more week off of running to let my foot heal right.  Instead, I will bike or cross train on run days.

So...Here's this week's training plan:

Monday: 1:15 strength: 1 hour pilates class and 15 minutes with the ab roller.

Tuesday: 1:00 swim (Aerobic zones 1&2)
                :45 min. bike pick-ups

Wednesday:  1:15 Strength: plyometrics and core
                   
Thursday:  1:00 swim (speed drills)
                   :30 eliptical (aerobic zones 1&2)

Friday: 1:00 bike-(isolated leg drills)

Saturday: 1:00 run or eliptcal
                1:00 swim-form drills (if possible...we will be at a hotel in FL)

Sun: 1:00 bike (aerobic zones 1&2)


It will be tough Friday-Sunday since the kids and I are flying to Jax to visit Rick, pick out a house and visit the school.  But, there is a fitness facility at the hotel so I can get up early and do what I need to.  The swim may not happen, but if not, I'll do something else.  Again, it's easier to be flexible at this stage.

Ok, not to talk nutrition.  I am determined to improve in this category also.  I could still stand to lose some weight to make me lighter and faster.  I am going to make small goals every month. 

Goal number 1 for January:  No pre-packaged (processed) snack foods.  My grocery list right now consists of raw veggies, string cheese, almonds, eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt, and cottage cheese. Basically, anything whole and natural.  I tried this before but made my goal much too big...eliminating ALL processed foods at once.  This is just about impossible.  So...by keeping it just to snack foods, I should be able to do it.  Then, next month I will expand the goal to another area.


My positive thought of the week:  Believe in yourself.  It sounds cliche and over used, but it is so important.  Take all self-doubt out of your mind and replace it with positive energy.  Amazing things may happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment